Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Accidental Electric Fire In The Bronx Kills Elderly Mother, Seriously Injures Son

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Accidental Electric Fire In The Bronx Kills Elderly Mother, Seriously Injures Son
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Investigators say Tuesday morning's deadly fire in the Schuylerville section of the Bronx that killed a woman and injured her adult son was started accidentally.

Officials say an electrical device in a kitchen at 3205 Ampere Avenue caused the blaze that started around 7:40 a.m. and killed an 84-year-old woman.

Neighbors say the victim lived with her 45-year-old son, who is disabled. He was taken to Jacobi Hospital in serious condition.

Neighbors described a chaotic scene.

"I was by the window. I heard a commotion, a noise, and I looked out and the people next door were trying to help. She was upstairs, the lady, and finally the door opened and the smoke came out," said one neighbor.

"Neighbors were trying to knock the door down, kicking the door. But she actually was able to throw the kid down," said another neighbor.

"It's tragic, it's tragic. Somebody lost their home today. It's not a good scene," said a third neighbor.

By Tuesday evening, authorities had not released the victim's name.

10.11.12.245 ClientIP: 54.167.244.71, 23.0.160.31 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP