A multi-million dollar settlement was reached Monday in the sexual assault case a hotel maid brought against the former head of the International Monetary Fund. NY1's Dean Meminger filed the following report.
Nafissatou Diallo sat in Bronx court as it was revealed she'd reached a settlement in her sex abuse suit against the once powerful head of the International Monetary Fund, Dominic Strauss-Kahn.
"I just want to thank everyone who supported me all over the world," Diallo said. "I thank everybody. I thank God and God bless you all. Thank you very much."
In May 2011, Diallo was a housekeeper at the Sofitel Hotel in Manhattan. Strauss-Kahn was, at the time, not only the head of the International Monetary Fund but a leading candidate to become the next president of France.
Diallo said while she was cleaning his room, he attacked her and forced her to perform oral sex. Strauss-Kahn later said it was consensual, but now he has agreed to pay her.
While the exact sum of the settlement was kept sealed by the judge, sources close to the case said it was a multi-million dollar deal, but not more than five million.
A criminal case against Strauss-Kahn in Manhattan was dropped in August of last year because the district attorney said Diallo had credibility issues.
But the burden of proof for a criminal case is much higher than it is for a civil one.
"Ms. Diallo is a strong and courageous woman who never lost faith in our system of justice," Diallo's lawyer Kenneth Thompson said. "With this resolution she can now move on with her life."
Strauss-Kahn was not in the courtroom for the decision and his attorneys said they would not make a statement on the matter.
There was also an announcement that the New York Post has settled a lawsuit Diallo had filed against the paper.
The Post had reported she was a prostitute who often had sex with hotel guests.
Sources say it was a good day for Diallo -- she'll never have to work as a maid again.